Sunday, December 1, 2013

Wisp of Past Hardship (Winter 2011)

It's been a long time since I really have felt the need to write. I guess it isn't until you are truly alone then you start to turn inwards. Today was the official last day of my college life. At least it feels like it. The end of a career forum for Japanese bilinguals who are currently studying abroad in the US, or who are still in their undergrad in Japan. I don't fit either of those categories, but since there is no career forum for Americans who know a little bit of Japanese and want to work in Japan, I figured I would try my best to land something.

It was quite the spectacle. Boston has swarms of Japanese youths in suits riding the T in the morning and evening and booking all of the hostels. If I could one day I would like to make a documentary about the whole thing for western countries because it is all unbelievable.

The companies who participate fall into two big categories, first are Japanese companies who are looking for bilingual hires to help their companies move slowly towards globalization. And second, huge international corporations like investment banks, internet giants like Google and Amazon etc. These companies want people who can communicate with headquarters in America yet speak perfect Japanese to clients from the Japan branch office. I don't fall into either of these categories. To add to my disadvantage, many companies recruit out of college, so those of us who have already graduated are out of luck. Surprisingly enough I never really heard anyone tell me that it would be a problem that I would need visa sponsorship.

What I did hear a lot of was "we require a high level of Japanese proficiency" or "we look for near native speakers". It hurts. It hurts to be told that you are not good enough for something. Have you ever been told that you are too stupid to work somewhere, or you are too ugly? I feel like that right now. Or when you applied for colleges, but got rejected because your GPA or SATs werent high enough. It's amazing how many barriers we have put up in our society to stop people from succeeding. Is it all necessary?

I know it's not the same, language is a skill just like programming, would you hire someone who only knows C++ to program medical software? Of course not. It just hurts that how ever much I think I am improving, it is never enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment